When you purchase at locally owned businesses, more money is kept in the community, because locally owned businesses often purchase from other local businesses and service providers. Purchasing local helps grow other businesses. Shopping local is the act of every day consumers, like you, making the decision to buy your produce, clothing and day to day items from a local business instead of going to a large retailer. Shopping at local businesses gives neighbors a chance to connect.
When You Shop Local:
- More of your money will be kept in your local economy
- You embrace what makes your community unique
- You create local jobs- Local businesses are better at creating higher-paying jobs for your neighbors. When you shop locally, you help create jobs for teachers, firemen, police officers, and many other essential professions.
- You help the environment
- You nurture community- Local business owners know you, and you know them. Studies have shown that local businesses donate to community causes at more than twice the rate of chains.
- You conserve your tax dollars- Shopping in a local business district means less infrastructure, less maintenance, and more money available to beautify your community. Also, spending locally instead of online ensures that your sales taxes are reinvested where they belong— in your community!
- You create more choice- Locally owned businesses pick the items and products they sell based on what they know you like and want. Local businesses carry a wider array of unique products because they buy for their own individual markets.
- You took advantage of their expertise- You are their friends and neighbors, and locally owned businesses have a vested interest in knowing how to serve you.
- You invested in entrepreneurship- Creativity and entrepreneurship are what the American economy is founded upon. Nurturing local business ensures a strong community.
- You made your community a destination- The more interesting and unique you community, the more we will attract new neighbors, visitors and guests. This benefits everyone!